October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Privateer Press goes to all 3D-printing for Warmachine MK4

More
28 Jul 2022 11:12 #334578 by fightcitymayor
In an interesting (possibly bellwether for the hobby) bit of news, Privateer Press has made several interesting decisions:

1) A new MK4 edition of Warmachine
2) Folding Hordes into Warmachine, no longer will be separate
3) Declaring that both metals and hard plastics are too expensive, now all new product will be 3D printed (!!!)
4) Assigning all previous MK1 thru MK3 stuff to be essentially retired/ghettoized into a new legacy format separate from new stuff
5) Cards will no longer be printed, you must use the Warmachine app for stats

I have been surprised PP has survived this long (recently running Kickstarters to create/support standalone Iron Kingdoms games like Riot Quest and Neo-Mechanika.) Resorting to purely 3D printing seems like an absolute last resort in the face of increasing prices (even mid-range publishers can typically go to in-house resin production if Chinese plastics end up out-of-reach) so I would not want to be an Iron Kingdoms fan in the face of this news.

Starter boxes with 22 3D-printed minis are reportedly slated to run you $200, and that's not even for a full 100pt army. So I wish them good luck with those economics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2022 11:32 #334580 by Cranberries
Wow, this seems like a huge deal. Perhaps at some point they'll just sell the files if people want to print their own. Although the appeal of Warmachine would be diluted with fuzzy home 3d prints, perhaps.

More
28 Jul 2022 13:25 #334591 by fightcitymayor
It's interesting to think that at one point Privateer Press were almost considered an American Games Workshop in terms of distribution and reach. WarmaHordes was a big deal once. Then came the rise of Kickstarter minis games, and then other mid-sized minis companies (Mantic, Warlord, Wyrd, etc.) began to really gain market share.

Then in 2016 they cracked down on "free rider" OLGS that weren't sufficiently bending the knee. Their stuff started going on clearance at a lot of major OLGS and Warmachine in general seemed to disappear from the greater hobby consciousness. No buzz, no hype, no eyeballs that I saw.

I don't know what industrial style 3D-printing mechanisms they plan on using, but it had better be some pretty grand stuff to charge the prices they think people will pay for a game that has all but vanished from the minds of most.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
29 Jul 2022 05:34 - 29 Jul 2022 06:55 #334625 by sornars
This is fascinating news, thanks for sharing. I was really into Warmachine but stopped playing near the end of MK II. I think they lost a lot of fans and goodwill around the transition to MK III. A move this radical speaks to me of a company that's in crisis; I also suspect that this is somewhat existential for them.

With the burning of bridges with FLGS's during the MKIII era, simplifying their product and production lines makes a certain degree of sense but effectively killing off all of the old stuff with the promise of rules for an alternative format sounds like a huge middle finger to veteran players. I guess the giant pile of Cryx in my parent's house just got a even more inconvenient to shift.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2022 06:55 by sornars.

More
01 Aug 2022 16:25 #334701 by Virabhadra
Pure conjecture, but was GW's introduction of the Stormcast Eternals supposed to compete with Warmachine's flagship faction? Even outside of the name (Cygnar / Sigmar), both are themed around thunder and lightning and both have the same color scheme. I always wondered whether there was a connection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Aug 2022 09:05 #334716 by fightcitymayor
Most of the "influence" goes the other way, as 40k predates almost all of its competitors.

It's one of the interesting things about minis wargaming is that almost all of the larger, serious competitors to GW were started by ex-GW employees. Mike McVey at Privateer Press, Ronnie Rention at Mantic, John Stallard and Rick Priestley at Warlord, Alessio Cavatore at River Horse, and more. All were longtime GW employees who left when GW became more about the business and less about the hobby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
02 Aug 2022 10:07 #334717 by Virabhadra
I kept waiting to jump on Warmachine until they fixed the Infantrymachine issue, so I never ended up getting into it. I'm still proud to own all five "seasons" of their Into the Breach-esque Monsterpocalypse.

This seems like a silly question, but how easy is it to scale an object designed for 3d printing? I wonder if it would be possible to request that they print a bunch of the new Monpoc 2.0 figures at the slightly smaller Monpoc 1.0 scale?

More
02 Aug 2022 12:07 - 02 Aug 2022 12:26 #334729 by Disgustipater

Virabhadra wrote: This seems like a silly question, but how easy is it to scale an object designed for 3d printing? I wonder if it would be possible to request that they print a bunch of the new Monpoc 2.0 figures at the slightly smaller Monpoc 1.0 scale?

Scaling is trivial. I usually have to scale everything I print to fit my particular needs. No idea if it is different for mass production processes.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2022 12:26 by Disgustipater. Reason: Why is the Cancel button on the right?!

More
03 Aug 2022 09:11 #334752 by thegiantbrain
Surely they should consider releasing the files for homeprinting. Could give a whole new lease of life to the game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds